Sehnert’s Bakery & Bieroc Cafe Quick Facts
• Sehnert’s Bakery has a long Nebraska history. Matt is the fourth generation family baker in the United States. Sehnert Bakeries began in 1897 in the United States. The present McCook bakery is celebrating its 60th Anniversary. Sehnert’s Bakery and Bieroc Café employs 35 full and part time workers.
• In the early 1990’s, Sehnert’s Bakery created a catering service. This part of the business grew to serve Southwest Nebraska’s catering needs for weddings, business functions, reunions, fund raisers, and many other events.
• In the mid 1990’s, in to increase efficiency, Sehnert’s Bakery purchased a small wholesale pizza crust company. This part of the business grew to employ 7 people while bringing revenue into the McCook economy from throughout Nebraska and neighboring states. It has become a major portion of gross bakery sales.
• In 1999, Sehnert’s Bakery acquired the building adjacent south of original bakery. After extensive remodeling of this building (McCook’s original post office), the two buildings were joined by an opening creating Sehnert’s Bakery and Bieroc Cafe. This expansion added 4+ new positions to the McCook economy.
• Sehnert’s Bakery introduced espresso based drinks, Italian sodas, a selection of hot teas, chai, and smoothies their McCook area patrons in 1999 with the opening of the Bieroc Café. The bakery continues to offer its “Espresso 101” Class. This allows various groups to learn about and sample these drinks while having fun together.
• Sehnert’s Bakery has created a live “listening room” concert series called “Live at the Bieroc”, Concerts along with great foods are preformed in the Bieroc Cafe facility. With the addition of a full bar service, Sehnert’s has opened an avenue for national touring musicians and artists to perform while the great citizens of Southwest Nebraska enjoy the outstanding talents of the performers in complete evenings of entertainment. This has also opened the door for local musicians and poets to share their talents and perform on a public stage. The Bieroc has helped other people start their own music venues in other parts of the state.
• Many groups, families, organization and businesses have enjoyed the friendly atmosphere of the Bieroc Cafe by having private parties in the Cafe”. The bakery can provide their guests fresh foods, complete bar service, sound system and a warm-fun evening.
Sehnert’s Bakery in McCook is the largest single user of Wauneta Roller Mills flour. Wauneta Roller Mills is one of the last family flour mills in the state. They use locally grown hard red winter wheat. Sehnert’s Bakery is proud to be a part of this local farmer to miller to baker to consumer life circle.
• Sehnert’s Bakery has embraced the internet in order to reach out to the nation and world. Each November and December, Sehnert’s ships its holiday Stollen Bread to people throughout the United States. This has been a great addition in sales coming to our community from other parts of the country.
• Matt and Shelly were awarded the 1999 Chamber of Commerce Community Builder Award.
• Nebraska State Lied Main Street Awards received in 1999 were Merchant of the Year and Best Restoration Project for 1999. McCook Main Street Community Creative Improvement Award 1999.
• McCook’s Annual Heritage Days – Honored Family 2007(?)
• Sehnert’s Bakery is proud to work with the South West Area Training Services (SWATS) and other organizations to give employment to citizens with academic specialties. This has been a great partnership and win-win situation. In 2006, Sehnert Bakery was proud to be awarded “Employer of the Year” by The ARC of Nebraska.
• Sehnert’s has received the Chamber of Commerce “Quarterly Business” award a few times…most recently in 2016 for their continual service to the McCook community by their participation in many clubs and organizations that make McCook a better place to Live, Work and Play.
• Sehnert’s Bakery has been intimately involved with the Annual Buffalo Commons Storytelling Festival. They have received special recognition for their help including the 2009 Master Storyteller Award as “Flowmaster” The first Tuesday of each month, Sehnert’s Bakery lends its facility to Buffalo Commons for a monthly storytelling gathering. The second Tuesday of each month, Sehnert’s Bakery lends its facility to a woman’s group called Mia Bella for an evening of fellowship and music.
• Senator and Former Governor, Ben Nelson, began his working career by frying donuts before school at Sehnert’s Bakery. Sehnert’s was proud to cater Ben’s Farwell party at the Governor’s Mansion.
• Sehnert’s enjoys giving tours to grade school children as well as community groups.
• In 2016, Sehnert’s realized a business plan that they created in 2002 by opening The Tied House – A night time pizza place featuring local/regional craft beer as well as unique pizzas, appetizers and desserts
• The Sehnert family fully believes that it is important to give back to the community that allows them to live, earn a living and raise their family. They do this by participating in many committees, clubs, school and church activities.
Owners are: Matt and Shelly Sehnert
Mo Dough, LLC
d/b/a Sehnert’s Bakery & Bieroc Cafe
312 Norris Avenue, McCook NE 69001
tel: (308)345-6500 fax (308)345-7511
When was bakery established – 1957
Walt & Jean Sehnert in McCook (1897 in the USA)
Matt & Shelly bought the bakery in 1991